Monday, March 1, 2010

one/project day one: Blackout

Nikon D70, f/2.8, 1/10, ISO 200
Strobist: Flash behind subject with full cut CTO


They say the first steps are the most difficult.  That happened to me tonight.  Not only was this the first day of my one/project, it also turned out there was a power interruption for the next few hours. Damn! So, even though I had the night planned - from concept to location, it turned out those plans won't be for tonight.

I had 2 options: A, go to bed and end this not so good day; or B, try to make something out and stick to the project.  Of course, I had to stick with option B.  I wouldn't let tonight be a waste.  It was interesting, and this was what I came up with.  Grabbed my laptop, a couple of candles and began typing this blog.  I just knew I have to upload and post this somehow. This is what I have been talking about doing projects.  Everyday is different and you can't be sure what will happen, even if you planned it.  It happened today, and I'm just on the first day.

I forgot to mention some requirements for this project.  First I can only use one lens for the duration of the project.  For this  I chose my trusty 50mm 1.8, or nifty fifty as others call it. I will have to make do and adjust with what the short comings of the lens, primarily it not being wide enough and in some cases, not close enough.  I do get the advantage of the lens being great under low light, and its sharpness wide open.

Second, I can only use one strobe or flash for the project.  I am using my new Yongnuo 460 MkII, a nice manual lens that is very affordable.  I'll do a post about this in the future, but you can see more here. It has many advantages,like its price and variable power settings, but it doesn't have a zoom, nor a synch port, which makes it difficult to put it in a light stand.

Lastly,  I would need to post one pic per day for seven straight days. I'll have to think creatively and make each day different as well as interesting.  I hope I'll be able to do what I have planned for tomorrow.

Update: Links to each day's posts

Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5
Day 6
Day 7




flickr Set
flickr stream 




No comments: